Thursday, March 10, 2011

Meet Hayden

Hayden is a beautiful, funny, innocent little boy. He can also be pigheaded, selfish and a typical 7 year old boy (I mean, who doesn't love a good fart joke?)
Hayden also needs help. He's literal to the end (asking him to 'hold his horses' can be quite amusing), unable to process multiple commands, low muscle tone and a unique way of looking at the world.
If Kelso from "That 70's show" mated with Sheldon from "The Big Bang Theory", their lovechild would be Hayden. My lil man oscillates between incredibly intelligence to dopey and docile. He really is like a box of chocolates, we just don't know which flavour we prefer.
I am posting this as a mum who has been fighting for 6 years to get him help. The public system has not been much use as he is quite high functioning and if you don't see him during a meltdown, you won't guess there is anything there.
6 years and it has taken me 6 different paediatricians to find one that is willing to take a look at him. Add one more 6 and you wouldn't be blamed for thinking that he was a devil child. He's not. He's a beautiful little boy who may have a slight miswiring in the head.
And I love him anyway. So there.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Elle I need to get u to come to see Connor's pead!!! He is fantastic!!! Remember that Connor is very high functioning as well. Oh and I totally agree with ur mating suggestion as well as Graham and I have often said that too!!! (we love those shows) Connor is all about "pull my finger" at the moment. But when those meltdowns come he is the devils spawn!!!! I really need to get u in touch with our Pead plus a program called MYCP that initially recognised connors aspergers. I know how hard it is esp when people look Connor and don't believe there is anything wrong!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember doing MYCP probably about 13 years ago....I was told I had a 95% behaviour problem with my eldest at the time. I was also told that I could then run my own MYCP (lol) with the amount of time I spent there and how much dedication I had haha! I then went on to make up my own strategies because I had not found one that would fit the ADHD/asperger child. Sometimes they worked, sometimes they didn't. I was told my eldest would end up a delinquent by the age of 15 and that was only if he was still alive - that was by some professionals. Did I mention this son is now 24 and living on his own in Canada, working there and working on 'growing up and becoming independent', still has work to do on himself and may always have - but then again, who doesn't - he is sought after in his work and is a far cry from a delinquent - what was the difference? I think me getting to know what made HIM tick and accepting stuff that I never thought I would. He and my youngest son too are unique and wonderful and have taught me everything especially patience and tolerance. Well Done Elle for sharing. xx

    ReplyDelete